This is a very hearty and warming casserole, and it is super easy to make. We have used three types of beans, but you can use any beans of your choice. It’s the perfect store-cupboard dinner, packed with nutritional goodness, full of flavour and quick to make as a meal for the family any day of the week. So let’s get started.
- Can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Can of butter beans, drained and rinsed
- Can of baked beans
- Can of tinned chopped tomatoes
- 250ml chicken stock (or 250ml water and one stock cube)
- 4-6 sausages (we used pork and leek)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 1 red or yellow pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp red chilli paste
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Prep time: 5 – 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
1. Fry the onions and sausages:
The first thing you need to do is cut each sausage into 4 and transfer to a large pot over a medium heat with the olive oil. Fry gently for 2-3 minutes and add the diced onion. Cook for a further 3-4 minutes until the onions begin to caramelise.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients:
Add the rest of the ingredients and allow the pot to simmer for 15-20 minutes over a low to medium heat. Once the casserole has reduced, serve and enjoy!
Additional serving suggestions:
- For that rustic look and feel add some fresh crusty bread
- Garnish with some freshly chopped chive for added colour and flavour.
A warm, hearty casserole is often a popular dish at many a dinner table at this time of the year. What is your favourite flavour of casserole to enjoy on a winters evening? Let us know by commenting below or connecting with us on Facebook and Twitter.